2013年9月10日星期二

Design your own wedge with Vokey WedgeWorks Exclusives



Vokey TVD WedgeWorks Exclusives by Titleist lets you customize and personalize your own favorite go-to wedges. (Courtesy of Titleist)


Like most golfers, you probably have a favorite club -- that one go-to stick that breeds confidence and birdie putts.

A couple months ago, I added just such a golf club to my bag: A 52-degree Titleist Vokey TVD spin-milled gap wedge. I hit it from 125 to 135 yards and on bump-and-run shots around the green.

With this wedge in my hands, I am deadly.

What makes the Vokey TVD (Tour Van Design) even better is that I designed it myself. Sort of.

You see, in September 2010, Titleist's master craftsman, Bob Vokey, launchedVokey WedgeWorks Exclusives, allowing golfers of all stripes select wedge features from loft to shaft to graphics. The clubs are custom-assembled and engraved to order.

"WedgeWorks is a lifelong dream come true," Vokey said. "Wedges are personal. The Exclusives line allows avid Vokey enthusiasts an opportunity make the wedges their own."

The Vokey designs come in 60-, 56-, and 52-degree models, all beginning at $150 before personalization. The options available on WedgeWorks Exclusives are extensive. Three different hand-stamp styles (straight, freestyle, snow) in up to eight letters and/or numbers; 20 different paintfill colors; and 40 different toe-engraving combinations from which to choose.

Finally, WedgeWorks Exclusives offers BV grips in a variety of textures and colors to match the player's look and feel preferences. Among the grips available are the New Decade Multi-Compound and full cord Golf Pride Tour Velvet, as well as ribbed and .600 diameter options. BV custom grips are available only through WedgeWorks. Two distinctive new finishes -– Bright Brushed Chrome and Oil Can Zero -– also were created specifically for WedgeWorks Exclusives.
How the Vokey TVD Exclusives play

My gap wedge is my go-to club in a lot of short-yardage approach situations, and it's my first choice for bumping out of the rough when I've got some green in front of the hole. The True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue shaft ($25 extra) and Golf Pride Vokey Multi-Compound grip provide an incredible feel.

The milled, conforming grooves get the ball to bite on full shots. Even short chips tend to check up, which required some adjustment on my part. But now, I really enjoy the chance to play aggressively around the green. And I've holed more chips -- or come close -- these past couple months than for many years.
The verdict on Vokey TVD Exclusives

The golf-club industry has fully embraced customization, and not only for PGA Tour players. Titleist takes customization even further, to personalization, developing a web-based interface that allows players to design their own favorite wedges right from home.

I'm not sure of the secret -- if it's the knowledge that I helped build my club, if it's just the cool look or if Bob Vokey's legendary wedge designs really work as well as so many Tour pros say. Whatever the case, I know when I pull the Vokey TVD WedgeWorks Exlcusive, I'm only concerned with the short putt that will most likely follow.

没有评论:

发表评论